Sunday 28 June 2020

Schedule 11

This week took me a lot longer than the other weeks. It's a bit of a combination of finding it difficult to sit down and just draw a piece of fabric for such a long period of time, and having the space for the setup. It's definitely a very good exercise and I am happy to say that by the end of it, I am a lot more comfortable with drawing fabric on people (week 12). At the very least, the folding makes some vague sense to me now. Strangely, it is around now that I can start seeing figures as blocks a little better. It could be the few Cambiaso drawings that I have been copying, but I wouldn't be surprised if the mindset involved in week 11 exercises also helped (constantly trying to figure out which plane I am looking at). I wasn't all that happy with either of my long drapery studies - when I overlay the insect trail, many things just looked off, and I cannot trace the folds by just looking at my drawing. I think I would need to come back to this exercise.

I started experimenting with shading in my daily compositions. Marker pens are easy to use, but I am burning through them like nothing. Perhaps I should look into using paint, but I am unsure how newsprint would take up the paint.







3 comments:

  1. Hey Kath!
    Your daily compositions are awesome! How long do you spend on each of those? Are you using ink and watercolor? The simple construction of the figures is wonderful can you tell me where you learned that from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I normally spend about 15 min on pencil and ink, and a further 5 min on colouring. I use wide marker pen, though I am a little tempted to switch to something like gouache because of the amount of ink I am going through. I am not sure where I got the figure construction from. I use super messy pencil mark to try to get a sense of the gesture/shape of things, then overlay it with fewer ink strokes. The head construction is definitely from Steve Huston, though lately I am getting slightly influenced by Cambiaso (example: https://s31531.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/8103.003_5F00_luca_5F00_cambiasso.jpg). I have been copying his work and would love to be able to construct like him. His block forms are so fluid and anatomically representative.

      Delete
    2. Correction - I just timed myself and it's more like 5-10 min for colouring.

      Delete

Daily composition (May - July, 2020)

I decided to move all the daily compositions into their own post. So far I have done just over 200 daily compositions (not posted all of the...